Effective Date: October 12, 2020
PLEASE READ THIS POLICY CAREFULLY. BY ACCESSING AND USING THE WEBSITE AND CONTENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS POLICY AND THE DATA COLLECTION AND PRIVACY PRACTICES DESCRIBED HEREIN.
What Information We Collect From You
We collect a variety of types of information including:
- Contact information, such as your name, email address, work address (including shipping address), and work telephone number;
- Preference information, such as your contact and marketing preferences;
- Account information, which may include your contact and preference information, as well as your username and password, and other information about your account;
- Demographic information, which may include gender and other information about you;
- Correspondence information, including information about your emails or other communications with us, and information that you share in those emails and other communications;
- Call recordings and voicemail message transcriptsincluding information about your call and information that you share when you call us on the phone or leave us a voicemail;
- Device and browsing information, including information about your phone, tablet, computer, or other device, and online browsing activity (collectively, “automatically collected information”). Automatically collected information may include IP addresses, cookie identifiers, device and browser settings and information, and Internet service provider information. Automatically collected information also may include information about when and how you access and use Website, such as the date and time of your visit or use, and how you navigate and what you search for in the Website.
How We Collect Your Information
We collect and obtain information:
- You provide,such as when you place an order with us, contact us, register for an online account, participate in a contest or sweepstakes, respond to a survey, submit a request for information form, or sign up for emails or newsletters;
- From third parties,such as service providers that we use, analytics companies, and other third parties that we choose to collaborate or work with;
- Using cookies and other automatic collection methods.For example, we and third parties we work with may collect information from the computer, tablet, phone, or other device that you use to access the Website. This collection includes automatically collected information, and generally does not include personal information that directly identifies you unless you provide it through the Website or you choose to share it with us. Automatic collection methods we use include:
- Cookies, which are small text files that many websites automatically download to a user's computer or other device when they browse online. Cookies are often used to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behaviour data. The cookies that the Website uses may include both session-based cookies and persistent cookies (which remain on your computer or other device after your browsing session has ended). For more information about cookies, including how to manage them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org;
- Web beacons or tags, which are small images embedded into websites or emails that send information about your computer, tablet, phone, or other device when you visit the Website; and
- Website log files, which we or our service providers tend to create automatically in connection with access to and use of the Website.
How We Use Your Information
We use the information that we collect and obtain only to conduct our business and to provide you with the products, services, and experiences available through the Website. In particular, we may use your information:
- To provide you with products and services, fulfill your orders and process your payments, and process, maintain and service your account;
- To respond to you, when you place an order, correspond with us by email or otherwise communicate with us, make a request or inquiry, enter a contest or sweepstakes, complete a survey, or share a comment or concern;
- For personalizationof your experiences with us, including to remember your interests and preferences, personalize content, and to enrich your experience on the Website;
- For marketing and advertising, to send you marketing and advertising communications;
- For analytics, to understand how you use the Website, analyze Website traffic, determine the methods and devices used to access the Website, and improve the Website and associated products and services;
- For our business purposes, to operate and improve upon our business and lawful business activities, to maintain our programs, accounts, and records, for research, to determine your satisfaction with our products and services, to detect and prevent fraud or misuse of our services, to enforce, apply or comply with any of our terms or policies, including but not limited to this Policy, and for any other business purpose that is permitted by law;
- For legal, contractual and safety purposes, to defend or protect us, our customers, you, or third parties from harm or in legal proceedings, protect our rights, to protect our security and the security of our customers, employees, and property, respond to court orders, lawsuits, subpoenas, and government requests, address legal and regulatory compliance, verify your identity or communications from you, comply with contracts and other agreements to which we are a party, and notify you of changes to our terms, policies and practices.
How We Share Your Information
We will not share personal information about you with non-affiliated third parties for their own direct marketing or advertising purposes unless you request or expressly consent to such sharing. We do share your personal information with:
- Third-party partners and service providersthat provide products or services to us, or that provide products or services to you, including our analytics partners. We may use third parties or service providers to perform any of the actions or activities allowed under this Policy;
- Parties to business transactions,such as those we deal with in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, sales of assets, reorganizations, divestitures, dissolutions, bankruptcies, liquidations, or other types of business transactions. In these types of transactions, personal information may be shared, sold, or transferred, and it may be used subsequently by a third party; and
- Additional third parties,such as law enforcement, government entities, courts, our legal advisors, or other third parties as required or allowed by applicable law, such as for legal and safety purposes, or otherwise to help prevent harm or fraud to us, you, our customers, or other third parties. We also may share personal information with third parties upon your request or with your consent, although we may not be able to accommodate all requests.
Your Choices and Access Requests
We offer you choices about how certain personal information is used and shared, and how you can access and/or correct your personal information that we collect. Your choices include:
- Email Choices. You can opt out of marketing or advertising emails by utilizing the “unsubscribe” link or mechanism noted in marketing or advertising emails you receive from us. You also can request to opt out of marketing or advertising emails by contacting us through one of the methods specified in the “Additional Information and Contacting Us” section below, and sharing the email address at which you are receiving marketing or advertising emails. Please note that opting out of receiving marketing or advertising emails from us will not apply to transactional communications, important updates to infection protocols or legal notices, for example, emails about your orders or about changes to our terms, policies and business practices.
- Managing Cookies. You can activate settings on your Internet browser to refuse the setting of some or all cookies. In addition, the website linked to below will tell you how you can remove existing cookies from your browser if you wish. Please keep in mind, however, that if you use your Internet browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website and services. For further information about managing cookies, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that disabling or clearing cookies also may affect cookie-based opt-outs by either preventing you from using such cookie-based opt-outs or clearing opt-outs that you have previously set, in which case you would have to revisit the applicable pages and renew your opt-out after clearing cookies. You can learn more about privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies here.
- Access Requests. If you have registered for an online account on the Website, we allow you to access and update certain personal information that you have provided to us by logging into your account and using the features and functionalities available there. You may also make a request for access to personal information by sending an email or writing to us at the address specified in the “Additional Information and Contacting Us” section below. We will endeavor to respond to and resolve your request within 30 days, but we may not able to grant all access requests, and we may request additional information from you in order to verify your identity before accommodating an access request.
- Withdrawal of Consent. Subject to certain legal and contractual restrictions, you have the right to withdraw your consent to our collection, use and/or storage of your personal information at any time by sending us an email at email@example.com. If you wish to withdraw your consent, you must immediately cease all further access and use of the Website and Content. In addition, please note that even after withdrawing your consent, we may retain some of your information in limited circumstances and in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Security and Retention
Although we take steps to help protect the security of personal information you share with us through the Website, information transmitted through the Internet may not be perfectly secure. We do not guarantee the security of your personal information. We will keep your personal information only for as long as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, to provide you with products or services, to carry out legitimate business interests, and where otherwise required or permitted by law.
Links to Other Websites and Services
The Website may provide links to other Internet sites, content or videos (embedded or direct links) maintained by third parties. We are not responsible for the sites, content, or videos accessed via the links, and we have not reviewed the privacy practices of those third parties. We encourage you to review the privacy practices of those third parties.
Browsers Do Not Track Signals
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” (DNT) features that can send a signal to the websites you visit indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. There is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret the DNT signal. We currently do not respond to web browser DNT signals.
The Website is not directed to or intended to be used by individuals under the age of 13. We do not knowingly request or collect personal information from any person under 13 years of age without prior verifiable parental consent. If you believe that your child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information to us in connection with the Website, and without prior verifiable parental consent, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can take steps to delete the personal information that she or he provided as required in accordance with applicable law.
In addition, pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), we do not and will not sell the personal information of any California resident consumer under 16 years of age, unless the consumer, in the case of consumers between 13 and 16 years of age, or the consumer’s parent or guardian, in the case of consumers who are less than 13 years of age, has affirmatively authorized the sale of the consumer’s personal information.
The Website is hosted and operated in the United States. However, we and our service providers may store information about individuals in the United States, or we may transfer it to, and store it within, other countries. Users from jurisdictions outside the United States visit us at their own choice and risk.
If you are not a resident of the United States, you acknowledge and agree that we may collect and use your personal information outside your home jurisdiction, and that we may store your personal information in the United States or elsewhere. Please note that the level of legal protection provided in the United States from which you may access the Website may not be as stringent as that under privacy standards or the privacy laws of other countries, possibly including your home jurisdiction.
Your California Privacy Rights
Pursuant to applicable California law, including the CCPA, Karl Schumacher makes the following disclosures regarding the personal information it collects:
Category of Personal Information
Category of Source from Which Data is Collected
Purpose of Collection
Category of Third Parties to Whom Data is Disclosed
Name, gender, company name, specialty, university/residency, graduation year, and address, email address, and work telephone number
Directly from user of the Website
To operate and make the Website and Content available to our users, for billing and/or transactional verification, for identification and authentication, to contact users about their use of the Website, and for research purposes
Our service providers
IP address, device and browser information
To improve the content and functionality of the Website
Our service providers
Karl Schumacher has not sold consumers’ personal information in the twelve (12) months preceding the Effective Date of this Policy.
If you are a California resident, pursuant to the CCPA, you have the right to request:
- the categories of personal information Karl Schumacher has collected about you;
- the categories of sources from which your personal information is collected;
- the business or commercial purpose of collecting or selling your personal information;
- the categories of third parties with whom Karl Schumacher shares your personal information;
- the specific pieces of personal information Karl Schumacher has collected about you;
- the categories of personal information that Karl Schumacher has sold about you and the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold, if applicable;
- deletion of your personal information; and
- an opt-out of having your personal information disclosed or sold to third parties.
To submit a request, or designate an authorized agent to make a request under the CCPA on your behalf, please contact us at email@example.com or complete the web form located here. To verify your identity when you submit a request, Karl Schumacher will match the identifying information you provide us to the personal information we have about you.
However, Karl Schumacher will not be required to comply with your request to delete your personal information if it is necessary for Karl Schumacher to maintain your personal information in order to:
- complete the transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of Karl Schumacher’s ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between you and Karl Schumacher;
- detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act pursuant to Chapter 3.6 (commencing with Section 1546) of Title 12 of Part 2 of the Penal Code;
- engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when Karl Schumacher’s deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if you have provided informed consent;
- to enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with Karl Schumacher;
- comply with a legal obligation; or
- otherwise use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
Karl Schumacher will not discriminate against you in the event you exercise any of the aforementioned rights under the CCPA, including, but not limited to, by:
- denying goods or services to you;
- charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties;
- providing a different level or quality of goods or services to you; or
suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
This Policy is available to consumers with disabilities. To access this Policy in an alternative downloadable format, please click here.
Additional Information and Contacting Us
If you have questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
1666 E. Touhy Ave.
Des Plaines, IL 60018
Updates to This Policy
We may make changes to this Policy, and may apply any changes to information previously collected, as permitted by law. When we make material changes to this Policy, we will notify you by posting the updated Policy on the Website and/or by other means, and we will update the effective date at the top of this Policy. By continuing to use the Policy after being notified of material changes to this Policy, you agree that the terms of this Policy as of the effective date will apply to information previously collected or collected in the future, as permitted by law.